Dear VCIS ep1 red parents and guardians,
This is week 24 for all the English Programme 1 pupils here at Varee Chiangmai International School.
The children in my class are 6 years old and English is a foreign language for them.
Next week the ep1 red pupils will start to learn about shapes in Maths.
Today the children had an introductory lesson on shapes by using tangrams to create various animals.
A tangram is essentially a puzzle consisting of 7 shapes.
These shapes can then be used to create a multitude of animals and objects.
(PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGES BELOW TO MAKE THEM LARGER)
1. Firstly the children were given a double sided tangram template to colour in. Each shape needed to be a different colour. The other side of the tangram template was also coloured in, using exactly the same colours as the first side.
2. They then cut out the 7 shapes a tangram consists of.
3. The children watched various mini videos on how to create different animals and composed them using the mini-whiteboards as a ‘canvas’. The children were initially shown the ‘shadow’ of the animal they needed to create so as they could try to figure out which shapes went where. Then they were given the answer key as to the correct position of each specific shape.
4. The children then chose one animal they liked and stuck them onto their worksheets by moving each shape from their mini-whiteboard onto their worksheet.
5. Finally the children wrote simple informative sentences about their animals relating to whether it was a mammal, bird reptile or fish.
This is an example of integrated learning in the classroom.
The children are applying what they have previously learnt in Science (mammals, birds, fish and reptiles) and indeed Health (body parts) last term, to complement their learning in an entirely different subject this term. In this case the subject being Mathematics.
I hope you enjoy the images!
Thank you…teacher Chaz.
(PLEASE ZOOM YOUR INTERNET BROWSER SETTING TO 125% OR 150% TO CLEARLY READ THE PIECES OF WRITING.)
COMPLETED PIECES OF WORK
* All EP1 Red ‘Class Videos’
** All EP1 Red ‘Activities’
*** All EP1 Red ‘Works’
**** All EP1 Red ‘Creative Writings’
***** All EP1 Red ‘Summer Camps’
****** ABOUT TEACHER CHAZ
******* YOUR COMMENTS…YOUR COMMENTS…YOUR COMMENTS